Spring is a Time to Declutter, Detoxify and Start Fresh
By Elizabeth Sage
Spring is finally here as we get prepared to clear out the clutter and congestion that we may have been holding onto this past year so we can embrace this spring season feeling fresh and vibrant for healthier living.
Spring Equinox is the beginning of the cycle of seasons where the number of hours of daylight and darkness are roughly equal, and is a good time to invite more balance into your daily lives. As the world re-opens, what embodiment practices are you doing to keep you grounded and level headed?
Here are a few daily practices that help me stay grounded & balanced that may benefit you as well:
Morning routine: each morning is a new opportunity for you to set your day up for success.
- Drink water with lemon: Boost your immune system by giving your body the vitamins it needs at the optimal time of day for absorption. Drinking warm water with lemon can naturally flush out toxins and promote healthier liver function, skin, and digestion.
- Practice Pranayama (breathwork): Spend 10-15 minutes after your warm glass of water and lemon by practicing breathwork in a quiet space. Nadi Shodhan pranayama (alternative nostril breathing) is a simple breathing technique that can center your mind by harmonizing both hemispheres of your brain.
- Daily Mantra: Spend a few minutes repeating a POSITIVE affirmation. Say it loudly so your body can feel the vibration and resonance of this intention. Our energy can rise into confidence and self -worth when we say nice things to ourselves as a practice. Keep your mantra simple, such as: “I am happy now”, “I am worthy”, “I am safe”, “I know what it’s like to be valued”, etc. Imagine yourself feeling the positivity in your cells and in the softness of your breath.
- Drink Tulsi Tea: Tulsi tea can help digestion and promote relaxation for a restful night’s sleep. Tulsi tea contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients that can remedy chronic pain or stress. Drink a cup when you are ready to wind down your evening as you set the intention of working with this sacred healing plant.
- Ten Minutes of Mindfulness: Spend five minutes in stillness and silence, reflecting on positive experiences for which you feel gratitude. Spend another five minutes journaling the thoughts that arose during your meditation. It is best to unplug from all technology during these ten minutes.
- Read : Studies show that reading before bed can relax the body into a sleeping state. Try reading during the hour before you go to sleep. Avoid computer screens during this time, as they stimulate the brain. Instead, go offline to allow your body to return to its natural harmony of regulation.
Thank you for letting me share my daily routines, and I hope that some of them resonate with you. I wish you the best as you renew your energy for the spring and for all seasons to come.
See you on the mat,
Joya Yoga Instructor
Mind Body Spirit Practitioner – RYT 500 certified
NASM Certified Personal Trainer
Licensed Massage Therapist